Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Third Day Delights

Realizing yesterday that a plastic-sided crate was just not going to work for Rhyn*, I checked out my friend (and yours!) Craig, who conveniently operates Craig's List, and I found a metal crate with a door on the end and a door on the side, which included the slide-out pan and a divider.  Like-new condition, $50.  They run about 109.99 plus tax for this size (large, double-door). However, they are on sale at Petco right now for less than I paid yesterday, so - you win some, you lose some.  If a few bucks is all it costs to get a good night's sleep it's worth it.

So yes, last night I slept on the floor in the basement again, next to the open wire crate (and yes, I added extra blankets for me for padding!), and I noticed throughout the night at odd times that Rhyn would go in to it and retrieve a toy I'd put there.  He's comfortable with it, far more comfortable than the plastic-sided crate.  That is really proven today; he's been 'crated' twice, first for breakfast and then for lunch.  He went right in, I shut the door, and took Zoey for her walk.

Of course, it remains to be seen how it will work tonight.  This is only the fourth night in his new furever home, after all... when his life changed so dramatically that we humans can only imagine.

*OK, the way I see it:  Saturday, Rhyn was shoved in a plastic-sided kennel with one of his brothers (who was also being adopted that day), put in a vehicle, taken to Fun City Dogs, said crate put on a wagon with a lifting mechanism, trundled into the doggie day care where hundreds of barking dogs created such a racket the humans could hardly talk. Also, Underdog Rescue was having an adoption event, so there were three (?) pens of dogs to be looked at and petted.  The wagon's lift was activated so the two puppies slid down and were scrunched in the bottom.  Strange human faces peering in and out, and suddenly, Rhyn is lifted out and in a stranger's arms and in another vehicle and the next thing he knows, his brothers are nowhere to be found.  The human female who fostered him is gone. Nothing is familiar. I would have bad associations with a plastic-sided crate, too.

Today I've moved my office outside on the back patio, Rhyn is enjoying the yard, and Zoey finally came out and is hanging out.  Carefully.  She alternates between appearing as though there is no puppy to being possibly offended, but I need to be careful and not anthropomorphize her.



No comments:

Post a Comment