Friday, August 19, 2016

Full Day Six with the Chunky Monkey Vampire Puppy

Rhyn to bed last evening about 8:30-40, somewhere in there.  Slept the night through until 3, and I think only woke up then because Mark wanted to get him out to pee before the storm hit.

I was up about 6:40 a.m.?  I think. This week has really involved me waking up, looking at the clock, and thinking OMGGOTTAGETUPPUPPYSSTARVINGTODEATH and then I'm downstairs, so I'm not sure on the time.

Zoey came downstairs with me to let Rhyn out and for him to have his breakfast. She's doing great today, hanging around, watching everything instead of being upstairs so much.  She still has looser bowels than I would like - our short walk this morning was productive, yes, just not in a way I'd like. At least the Fresh Pet stuff is working.

Little Rhyn's output looks better today, too - still loose, but not as loose.  And even better, he wasn't as crazy for his breakfast this morning as he has been - he was nuts for it before. So, I think, all around, all things are getting better.  Zoey's staying closer, Rhyn's shaping up, life is good.

My little chunky monkey vampire puppy is coming along nicely -

AH!  MY SHOELACES!!!  LET GO!!!  Somebody needs to invent puppy-proof shoelaces...

OK, first full week review:

  1. Rhyn has become very very comfortable with his crate in only four nights.  Now he doesn't fight when I put him in, and goes to sleep within a few minutes.  Doesn't 'rush' the door when I open it to let him out, and is always, always happy to see me. Love those little folded back ears, that wagging tail.  It's contagious - Zoey was doing it this morning when I let Rhyn out, too.
  2. Rhyn is comfortable for two hours during the day in his crate.  This is a great, great thing.  I just make sure he's had all bathroom duties done beforehand.
  3. He doesn't whine as much when I'm out of his sight. I was worried about this because I thought it might be the beginning of separation anxiety, but of course not. He's a baby who's had a big change in life (was it only last Saturday?) and of course he wants to keep known humans close by.
  4. He likes to play with ice cubes, and the water coming out of the hose.  Since I have a low opinion of retractable* leashes, it's a toy for Rhyn, and he LOVES to capture the end of it and run off with it, and I slowly reel him back in, like a fish.  And off he goes with it again.  It's his 'fishing rod toy'.
  5. He doesn't care for tomatoes, squash, peanut butter, or peanuts.  I know, right?  Peanut butter is supposed to be the holy grail of treats for dogs.  Not for Rhyn, not at 10 weeks, or a little over two months old.
  6. He knows the name of two toys:  "Monster", and "Rabbit".  He knows how to "Sit", and we're working on "Down".
*I have never found retractable leashes a viable option for leading a dog around.  They are the lazy human's invention for walking the dog. Combining two of my pet peeves, I abhor watching a human walking down the street with its smart phone, while the poor dog is wandering all over on his loose leash.  Dogs are to be walked on a 4-foot or a 6-foot leash, taught to heel, and that's that.

More cuteness coming right up!

Chunky Monkey Vampire Rhyn

Looks just like Zoey at this age

Sleeping Rhyn, Thank Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment