Wednesday, August 17, 2016

And we're on our way ... 10 weeks old today!

Rhyn slept in his wire crate just fine!  He was put to bed about 8:30, fussed a little bit, and then was quiet until 3 a.m., when he let us know he need to go out.

In his crate:  A large towel, and lots of toys.

Then he went back to sleep for a couple of hours, and the new day is here.

After talking with my vet tech and the manager at our pet store, I have learned it is not normal to poop 7 times a day, even for a puppy.

After way too much emailing back and forth with Underdog Rescue (as I noted to Megan, it's like wow, I've paid my money, now communication stops? She still hasn't responded and it's been three days; I don't expect a response at this point), I've found out that Rhyn did have Roundworms three weeks ago, and was treated with (one dose) of Pyrantel. (Big shout out to Lori A., a great foster with Underdog Rescue, who took the time to get me Rhyn's vet records and put me in touch with Lacey, the Events Coordination person who provided me with the name of the dewormer.)  I let my vet know, and we're going today with a stool sample because one dose doesn't usually do the job; info about Pyrantel indicates two doses.  DAMMIT! If I hadn't talked to people about the massive amount of loose poop coming out of this little guy, I'd have not known something might be wrong.  I can't remember Zoey having this issue.

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person most of the time, unless I've got Puppy Brain (new term for late nights and long days watching new puppy, making sure he or she doesn't get into trouble).  I cringe to think of the many people who have adopted puppies and dogs through this rescue and any others who didn't get the information they needed and never knew anything different. I understand the concept of an organization being run by volunteers, I get it, it's great, but there has to be one or two people, at least, to make sure everything is being done and is being communicated to the new owners of the animal.  A simple checklist for everybody, they each check off their relevant duties.  The last stop for this checklist is the person who hands the animal over to the new owner.  Any items not checked get done by the final person.  Great system of checks and balances, in my opinion.

So now, instead of having just one new visit with Keller Lake Animal Hospital, we get two - I'm OK with it, though, because Vickie and Angie and the rest of the staff get to see Rhyn's cuteness in full force.  There is nothing like a puppy.  Except maybe a kitten. :)

The second visit Sept 2 will now be just for the DAPP 3-weeks booster.  What is DAPP, you ask? Distemper, Adenovirus, Parainfluenza, and Parvovirus, all possibly deadly infections and preventable through a series of booster vaccines and then every three years...  And after that, the only vaccine Rhyn need worry about will be his Rabies shot, but not until he is a bit older, maybe 1 year - I'll find out this afternoon!

Great info here on pet vaccines, from WebMD.

And now, what you've all been waiting for!
#cutepuppy #puppybutt

Those Ears!  Will he grow into them?  Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment