Sunday, October 30, 2016

Zoey Maintains Alpha Dog Status

It's puzzled me for several weeks now... I give both Zoey and Rhyn a treat, and Zoey manages to end up with both of them, leaving Rhyn to bark at her in frustration.  But - he never outright challenges her.  Eventually Rhyn gets one of the treats (Zoey walks away for a few minutes, allowing Rhyn to 'sneak' in) and they spend the rest of the evening 'stealing' each other's treat. My problem: Why does Zoey take Rhyn's treat or act like he shouldn't have it to begin with? I just realized: She's making sure he understands that only by her good graces does he get anything. In the dog world, this is a big deal and a way to make sure the pack maintains order. At not quite five months old, Rhyn is being taught the way things should be in the house he lives in. The humans are here to keep higher order, I reckon.

No comments:

Post a Comment